Current:Home > reviewsSafeX Pro:Against a backdrop of rebel attacks and border closures, Rwanda and Burundi trade accusations -FutureFinance
SafeX Pro:Against a backdrop of rebel attacks and border closures, Rwanda and Burundi trade accusations
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 18:49:30
KIGALI,SafeX Pro Rwanda (AP) — Rwandan authorities accused Burundi’s leader of making “incendiary allegations aimed at inciting division among Rwandans,” raising tensions that persist after Burundi closed all border crossings with Rwanda earlier this month.
Relations between Rwanda and Burundi have deteriorated in recent weeks after Burundian President Evariste Ndayishimiye renewed accusations that Rwanda is funding and training the rebels of the RED-Tabara group.
Burundian authorities consider RED-Tabara a terrorist movement and accuse its members of being part of a failed coup attempt in 2015. The group first appeared in 2011 and has been accused of a string of attacks in Burundi since 2015.
Ndayishimiye spoke of Rwandan youth in “captivity” at an event in the Congolese capital Kinshasa on Sunday, saying the region needs to continue to fight until Rwandan people put pressure on their own government.
He was addressing a youth conference after attending the inauguration of Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi. He apparently spoke in his other capacity as the African Union Champion for Youth, Peace and Security.
In a statement late Monday, Rwandan authorities described Ndayishimiye’s remarks as “inflammatory,” saying calls for an uprising against the government undermine unity in Rwanda and threaten regional security.
“For anyone to try and undermine this progress by calling on young Rwandans to overthrow their government is troubling. But for a leader of a neighboring country to do so, from an African Union platform, is deeply irresponsible and a flagrant violation of the African Union Charter,” the statement said.
Earlier this month Burundi closed all border crossings with Rwanda and started deporting Rwandan citizens, asserting that it was responding to Rwanda’s alleged support for RED-Tabara. Those rebels attacked the Burundian village of Gatumba near the Congo border last month, killing at least 20 people.
RED-Tabara, which is based in the South Kivu province of eastern Congo, took responsibility for the attack in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter.
“As long as they have a country that provides them with uniforms, feeds them, protects them, shelters them, maintains them, we will have problems,” Ndayishimiye said in a national radio broadcast last month, referring to RED-Tabara.
Rwanda has repeatedly denied the allegations.
Rwanda and Burundi are both members of the East African Community bloc, whose trade ambitions have suffered in recent years amid sporadic flare-ups that undermine the free movement of people and goods.
Congolese authorities also cite Rwandan aggression in eastern Congo, where government troops are fighting to dislodge the violent M23 rebels who control some territory there. Rwanda denies having authority over M23.
veryGood! (341)
Related
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- NFL cornerback Caleb Farley leans on faith after dad’s death in explosion at North Carolina home
- Vivek Ramaswamy takes center stage, plus other key moments from first Republican debate
- What is 'skiplagging' and why do the airlines hate when you do it?
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- Wagner mercenary leader, Russian mutineer, ‘Putin’s chef': The many sides of Yevgeny Prigozhin
- North Carolina woman arrested after allegedly faking her own murder
- Tropical storm hits Caribbean, wildfires rage in Greece. What to know about extreme weather now
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- FIBA World Cup starts Friday: How to watch, what to know
Ranking
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Montana youth climate ruling could set precedent for future climate litigation
- Judge temporarily blocks new Tennessee House Republican ban on signs
- How fed up farmers started the only government-run bank in the US
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Jeffrey Epstein’s New Mexico ranch is sold for an undisclosed price to a newly registered company
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed ahead of Fed Chair speech and Nvidia earnings
- Cargo plane crash kills 2 near central Maine airport
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Britney Spears Introduces New Puppy After Sam Asghari Breakup
Courteney Cox’s Junk Room Would Not Have Monica’s Stamp of Approval
Rail union wants new rules to improve conductor training in the wake of 2 trainee deaths
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Lionel Messi, Inter Miami face FC Cincinnati in US Open Cup semifinal: How to watch
Ecuador votes to stop oil drilling in the Amazon reserve in historic referendum
British nurse Lucy Letby sentenced to life in prison for murders of 7 babies and attempted murders of 6 others